What Information Do the Police Need When I Call?
The information the police will need will vary based on the nature of your need for assistance. The following is a list of questions that you could be asked when you call for police service. Not all questions would be applicable to every call. The Communications Officer is going to want to know:
- What is occurring or has occurred?
- The location of occurrence?
- Your name and phone number? (anonymous calls are accepted)
- Your location, if different from location of occurrence?
- The time of occurrence?
- Are there any injuries?
- Is anyone intoxicated?
- Are there weapons involved?
- How many people are involved?
- What is the description of the people involved? (gender, race, hair color, eye color, height, weight, scars/tattoos, clothing)
- What is the description of the vehicles involved? (license plate, color, make, model, year)
- What was the direction of travel for any persons or vehicle leaving the scene?
- Are there any animals at the house? Inside or outside?