In 1887, Christian Burkhardt purchased 21 acres in the above mentioned area. He had a Plat Map laid out for the Burkhardt Subdivision and began selling lots in the 1890s. Development of Christian’s land began with the construction of a general store which included a post office, a saloon and a hotel. Christian’s son, Edward, who managed the store and served as postmaster, purchased a tract of land across the street from his father’s holdings (south side of Old Chesterfield Road) in 1907. Edward, who had inherited the general store upon his father’s death in 1898, sold it in 1912 and two years later he built the Farmer’s State Bank of Chesterfield which included a new post office and the telegraph office. In 1918, Edward filed a Plat Map for Burkhardt Place. He then sold 11 small lots on which modest houses were built. Today, most of these homes are on the National Register of Historic Places along with the restored bank building located at the south corner of Old Chesterfield Road and Baxter Road.
Christian and Edward Burkhardt were instrumental in creating a town center for the agrarian area of Chesterfield. Their efforts were aided by the location of the railroad station; however, it was their vision and hard work which made the town of Chesterfield a reality. Their contributions earned a street being named Burkhardt Place.
Burkhardt General Store
Courtesy of Chesterfield Historical andLandmarks Preservation Committee